Language Arts A – Learning to Read and Write
Available September 8th or 9th, 2020, in the Preschool and Language Arts areas. Written for Ages 4 & 5, the Objectives of the course are 1) learning to read well with excellent fluency and comprehension and 2) to write in the correct way a legible manuscript penmanship. Not learning penmanship in the correct way can lead to learning dis-abilities!
- How language works
- Origin of mankind learning to read and write
- Penmanship – Manuscript
- Alphabet Phonics
- Advanced Phonics
- 300 Most Common words (The first 25 account for nearly 1/3 of the words on a written page!)
- Phonics pronunciation grids
- Word Grids
- Reading Program includes 1) Scripture Storybooks published by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint, 2) The Friend, 3) Dr. Seuss Books, 4) Children’s Book of Virtues, and 5) The Real Mother Goose. 1 & 2 are available from store.chruchofjesuschrist.org; 3-5 are available from amazon.
- The John A. Widstoe Reading Club – introduced 2nd semester in the Success Skills 1 course.
- Four Basic Sentence Types
- Basic Capitalization and Punctuation
- Beginning story writing.
- Beginning Spelling with the Rules
- Summer extension for reading